Tooth damage is both a health issue as well as a cosmetic one. Damage to your teeth can cause discoloration, decay, sensitivity, and lead to issues with the rest of your mouth, as well.
Cracked teeth can occur when you chew items like ice, popcorn kernels, pits, or something similar. Chipped teeth and broken teeth usually occur when someone has received a mouth injury, perhaps during a recreational activity or a vehicle accident. Though there are more causes for chipped teeth, these are the ones we see most commonly.
San Antonio Restorative Dentistry
If you have broken, cracked, chipped, or missing teeth, restorative dentistry provides treatment options that can help you get your smile back on track. Some of the restorative dentistry options available for those with damaged or missing teeth and other dental issues include:
- Tooth Crown – A tooth crown is a special protective cap – usually made of high quality porcelain – used to help repair teeth with cosmetic or functional issues, as well as used to help protect teeth that require some additional help. Some of the issues that a tooth crown can be used for include broken teeth, root canal therapy (to protect the tooth afterwards), chipped teeth, dental bridges with tooth crowns, dental implants, and even more.
- Root Canal Therapy – If one of your teeth has become deeply infected, in many situations a root canal may be the form of restorative dentistry treatment that can help your oral health get back to the standard you desire. Root canal therapy involves first removing infected tissue from the tooth, then cleaning it thoroughly and sealing the tooth to prevent further problems. In most situations, a beautiful tooth crown is used to help protect your treated tooth for the years to come.
- Dental Bridges – A dental bridge is a fantastic restorative dentistry option for filling in the gap caused by one or more missing teeth. Dental bridges are made to look like natural teeth and are highly functional, helping restore your ability to eat the foods you love and smile naturally. In most cases dental bridges are anchored on either side by beautiful natural looking tooth crowns.
- Dental Implants – In the past, having a missing tooth meant you would either need to leave a gap in your smile, or fill it in with a dental bridge or other device. Now, using dental implants your smile can receive a permanent missing teeth replacement solution. A dental implant is a metal post anchored into the jawbone that provides an anchoring point for a dental device such as a dental crown or denture. This makes it so that we can create “new” teeth where teeth have gone missing, and provide permanent mass tooth replacement solutions.
No matter if your teeth are cracked, broken, or outright missing Dr. William Stewart is the restorative dentist for you. Our team is thrilled to be able to provide restorative dentistry services and even more to our patients. We love to see our patients leave our office with a dramatically better smile than they came in with.
Care for a Dental Emergency
Immediate attention is essential in order to repair your teeth and preserve the health of your mouth. In any of the following events, call us as soon as possible, so we can arrange for your care.
- Cracked teeth: While you are waiting for care, take extra care to eat and drink items that will not damage that tooth further. Eat softer foods, and drink water rather than anything that is acidic or an extreme temperature.
- Chipped teeth: If you can find the portion of the tooth that is missing, preserve it in a cup of milk after gently rinsing it in clean water.
- Broken teeth: If you can find the portion of the tooth, pick it up by the top (called the crown). Do not touch the roots! They are easily damaged. Carefully rinse the tooth in clean water. Preserve the tooth in a cup of milk if possible.
Schedule a Restorative Dentistry Consultation near Shavano Park
Questions? Looking to schedule a restorative dentistry consultation with us? Simply contact our team today via call, text, or email using the form on this page!