Our teeth work hard and are consistently under assault from sugars and bacteria. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Sadly, enamel erosion is extremely pervasive, though largely preventable. Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal problems, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At William J. Stewart Jr. DDS Advanced Family & Cosmetic Dentistry, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt further erosion if some has already taken place. At our practice, we tell our patients that optimizing dental hygiene in San Antonio is one great way to protect your smile from damage and decay. Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion that might help you have a better understanding of oral hygiene in San Antonio.
1. Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it is gone, it can’t be regenerated.
2. According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), 41% of teenagers already have enamel erosion.
3. Brushing too hard can actually hurt dental enamel.
4. Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as harmful as regular soda.
5. Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to prevent further erosion. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call William J. Stewart Jr. DDS Advanced Family & Cosmetic Dentistry today at 210-493-3040 to schedule an examination. Dr. Stewart will give you guidance on the dental treatments and improvements you could make towards dental hygiene in San Antonio. We also offer services such as clear braces, gum disease treatment, and root canals.